Saturday, January 11, 2014

Choosing to Make Life Work - 24L -- SACRIFICE


As we are committed to each other’s success, we are called to give of ourselves to each other, the family, the church, the community and as well as in the world.  A good reminder from the Scriptures is, “let each esteem the other better and more important than self.”   “WHOA!  What does that do to my self image, Noreen?”   It didn’t take me too long on my walk to 83 years old to realize the world does not revolve around me.  I have choices to make daily about what is important or not.  Every morning I wake up choosing to stay in bed or get up and go do my exercises on a stationary bike plus.  I DON’T WANT TO GET UP!  I do get up and join others who are more disciplined than me.  They are models and an encouragement to me. 
We can choose to be givers or takers.  Our society raises kids to be very individualistic.  When they hit the real world they are blown away.  They are not being asked, “when do you want dinner?  They are told, “dinner is at 6” and they revolt.  There is too much need in the world beginning with our families on through the world to indulge our selfish desires.   Jesus calls us to “follow him”—to the cross?   Jesus says take care of the hungry, the widow, the sick, those in need. 
A hard word for this is self sacrifice.  The more we sacrifice for others the more we will discover who we are.  No need to remove the layers.  We know who we belong to and out of our love for God, we experience the joy we’re looking for in the way we live out our lives.  Other decision opportunities

No comments:

Post a Comment