Saturday, August 31, 2013

Life Transitions - Choosing to Make Life Work


          I am experiencing several different life transitions as I am aging.  I try to identify the transitions in order to stay on top of why I respond or react to different situations the way I do.  
          As a retired 83 year old, some transitions are freeing.  For instance I do not have to get up and go to work or school at a certain hour each day.  Liberating!  I can choose what I want to do when I want to do it.  My husband, Richard, used to say,“ retirement is great.  You can choose what you want to do without getting paid for it.”  Also Liberating! 
          What is hard about some transitions that are not liberating!  Watching friends getting older and dealing with difficult health issues.  Admitting to yourself you are not able to do what you use to.  This is a slow transition.  It creeps up on you sometimes without your noticing it.  Little by little you realize your new occupation is going to doctors.  The challenge is to keep your mind sharp, take one day at a time, and practice being grateful for life and all its opportunities in spite of some of the limitations.  Before I go to sleep each night, I try to remember one good thing that happened that day and thank God for it.   I’ll probably get into transitions more in a future blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment