Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Camp -- 19c – BEHAVIOR MIRRORED


A memory I have is of one of the older volunteers who lived on the grounds and helped where needed.   I told this story at every staff Orientation through the years.    I would walk back and forth from the dining room to my apartment and other places on the grounds.    Every time he saw me he would gently come up to me and rub his finger on my forehead and said something like, “do you know your frowning?  A smile on that face would look better.”   He would do this each time he saw me.   I would get so angry, I would walk the other way if I saw him coming towards me.  
            One day, when I saw him, I thought, “You know, Noreen, he is your friend.   Do you really want to look like you are stressed out and unhappy?   The Lord has given you a friend who is serving as a mirror for you.”  It was a God thing!   That thought was like a light out of the darkness.   From then on I was happy to see him because he reminded me not to frown but to have a pleasant countenance. 

            I often used that illustration in seminars and talks.   It was an effective story out of real life to learn how to be grateful for those around us who are mirrors of who we are.    Gives us the opportunity to choose how we want to project ourselves to others.   

1 comment:

  1. The last word my kids heard from me as they jumped out of the car each morning during their high school years was and still is "smile."

    ReplyDelete