Saturday, March 15, 2014

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Camp -- 31C – SHERWOOD CAMPER STORIES

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Camp --  31C –  SHERWOOD CAMPER STORIES

I had a white VW bug I used at Calvin Crest because Sherwood Forest was about a mile down the hill from main camp.   It was great for going up and down the hill from Sherwood to the main camp and then up to the outpost camp.  Ted used a motorcycle.  Luke Fritz, a Board Member who lead trail camps, suggested I should use a donkey in the forest to go up and down the hill.   I opted for the VW…..
Once in Sherwood Forest there was a young boy who would get very upset.  He would grasp onto a small tree and hug it.  He would not let go.  The counselors tried different things to get him to let go.  As long as we let him feel safe near the tree he eventually let go to eat his lunch..…
Another time we were having our counselors meeting in the Friar’s Hut, where the Pastor stayed for the week.   All of a sudden we heard a ruckus going on outside.  Campers shouting and yelling.  When we went out to look, one of the young boys had climbed way up in the redwood tree.  We had to use creative ways to get him down safely.  We depended on miracles daily…..
            There was a young boy who had quite a temper.   He would hit the kids in his cabin.  The Counselor and Pastor asked me if I could help.   I called the boy over and gave him a hammer and nails.   I put them in front of the Friar’s hut.   I said every time you want to hit someone come here and hammer nails into this board.   Let’s see how many nails you hammer in each day.   It worked and he soon hammered less and less each day….
            I had a reputation for being able to talk the campers who became homesick into staying at camp.  I would make short term contracts with them.   I would promise to meet them at the next activity and check up on how things were going.   Invariably this approach worked.   If they were really unhappy and wanted to talk with their mom or dad, I would agree…..
            Before they came to my office to make the call to their parent, I would call the parent and alert them to the call that was going to be made to them by their child.   I would suggest to the parent to  encourage the camper to stay.  I made an agreement with the parent that if they supported my short term contract approach, that I would keep tabs on the camper for them the rest of the week.  Most of the time parents were cooperative and appreciated the time I spent with their child.  Otherwise, they would come and take the camper home.  I can count on one hand how many times the camper went home in 30 years.  Good news!.....
            I’ll never forget one mom really hung in there with me.  Her son wanted to go home so badly and she didn’t budge and said she just could not come to get him that day.  I suggested he come to my office when he felt homesick.  He would come to my office or house every time he was unhappy and we’d talk and he’d go back.   By the end of the week he did not want to go home.  I loved those kinds of results…..
            Every week there was a man who had a pig farm who would come to pick up our food garbage to feed his pigs.  This was even before we were into recycling.   The campers would remark that the “pig man” was here.  They would get all excited to see him.  He would smile and wave.  Somehow they were drawn to the fact that we had a joint mission together with feeding the pigs…..

One year a junior age camper forgot her “security blanket.”  The mother was not quite sure what to do.  The camper didn’t want her mom to go home.  The mother had some fruit and vegetables in the car.  She gave her a large squash and told her to pretend this was her doll and hold it as her “blanket” for this week.  Who knew?.....

No comments:

Post a Comment