Monday, March 3, 2014

Choosing to Make Life Work – 29L - WELLNESS



            Most of what I’ve been blogging about is how to develop relationships and team work and what it means to be committed to each other’s success.  I had a perfect example of this recently.  I have been leading a Grief/Transition group for these past 12 + years at a local church.  We meet weekly and people have come in an out.  There has been a core group that have been together for most of these years.   We discovered and are still discovering that grieving is not over in a 6 week course.   Life continues to happen.  That is why we added the word Transition to the group.  We are always in transition.
Some in the group who started to come because they lost a spouse or parent, have since lost a child, a grandchild and/or a friend.  Some in their families have lost jobs, are dealing with losing health, or people they know and even themselves are moving into care facilities transitioning from their homes to a couple of rooms.
As I am aging I have discovered for me the transitions are the most difficult.  Accepting the fact that I cannot do what I use to do is frustrating.   Dealing with health issues is a reality.    I kid about my new profession is going to doctors.  These last several months have been especially difficult for me.   I started with going to the hospital with severe pains in my head.  I felt like my head was going to blow up.  They treated me with so much morphine that I lost 4 days.  They tell me I visited with people and was acting normal but I don’t remember any of it.  Then, I was in the Skilled Nursing Facility here at The Grove for two and a half weeks. 
Since then my fibro myalsia pains have been flaring up and I am dealing with chronic neck and head pains that have definitely limited my abilities to be up and about for more than 30 to 45 minutes at a time.  I became aware that I was giving into depression.  That just is not me and it scared me a lot. 
So back to the team and relationships.  A couple of weeks ago I “unloaded” with my Grief/Transition group. Talk about the healer being healed.  These folks surrounded me with love and acceptance.  Reassuring me that  God is present and active in my life.  I risked exposing my weaknesses with these friends and they shared that with me.  I cannot tell you the healing that took place.  The cloud over my head was lifted.  Nothing has changed physically but the ability to move forward and be freed from the weight of it all is amazing even miraculous.  These wonderful folks practiced team ministry.  I encourage you to take the risk and find a team/group even a person to share your grievings and your joys.   God has given us the gift of friendships.  Practice and trust God’s love.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment