Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Camp – 13c – SUMMER STAFF


             We planned interviews for summer staff positions up and down California as students applied from different cities.   Generally, the students from out of State colleges would make arrangements for interviews when they were home for the holidays.   The job application was a form including different kinds of questions about relationships, faith experiences and attitudes.     
            The interviews were very interesting and helpful in getting to know the applicants.   When I would ask what are some reasons they wanted to serve at camp, their response would often be, “because the Lord has called me to this service.”   I would quip back with something like, “Pray that the Lord clues me in on that information as I choose who to hire.”
            Another question I would ask was what they thought “serving the Lord” would be like during the summer.   They would respond very earnestly and sincerely that they wanted to serve the Lord in anyway they could.   We would talk about what it means to be of service to others.  It isn’t all sugar and spice and everything’s nice.   There will be days they would be so tired, they would not feel like doing what was expected of them.   They would be tired of the behavior of the campers, or the food, or relationships among the staff.    I used to alert the applicants that we found out through the years that we hired people because of their skills, and if called for, had to let them go because of their attitudes.   Most of us are open to serving God until we think we’re being treated like a servant.   Fortunately, there were very few we had to ask to leave through the years. 
          I’ll never forget my first interview with a college student.   It was at the First Presbyterian Church in Fresno.   As I was parking my car, I saw this scrawny young man waiting at the door of the church.   I remember thinking is this “kid” going to be able to be responsible for young campers?   This young man, after working for us for several years, went on to seminary.   While he was serving as a Pastor in the Presbyterian Church, he was influential in recruiting quite a number of students who we hired on camp staff.   This is how we multiply the experiences of faith.  
          One of the questions asked on the application form was something like, Who do you say Jesus is?  or  What do you think of Jesus?   The response on the form of a young applicant was three words, “I don’t know.”  During the interview I asked him, “Would you like to know?”  He agreed and we proceeded to talk about faith and life.   He accepted Christ as Lord and Savior that afternoon.    He worked with us at Westminster Woods for many years and was a very valuable and effective employee.
Through the years several of the staff went on to seminary.    It was such a humbling and yet gratifying experience to be a part of young men and women making decisions to serve God.   So many became ordained pastors and missionaries as well as serving as volunteers in the local churches.  I came up with a phrase for me as being “humbly proud.”  Thank you Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment