Thursday, October 3, 2013

Choosing to make life work –L9 - Presence of the Spirit


            It is interesting what we believe about experiencing the presence of Spirit.  Some of us who have lost loved ones share that we have “had a visitation from our loved ones.”  It’s not a scary visit.  It actually is a lovely and comforting experience.  Since Richard passed, he’s visited me three times that I know about.  Once I was in the living room getting ready to go to bed and I turned around and there he was in the blue chair beside me.  I was startled at first and then I smiled and said, “What are you doing here?”  I sensed he followed me down the hall and stopped at the door.   As I got into bed I looked back and said, “Goodnight."  It felt good.  I always felt safe with Richard and I had that same peace once again.
In some situations I think we feel or sense a closer awareness of God’s presence.  I find that I need “filling up” now and then.  I equate it to using a sponge.  You fill the sponge with water and soap.   As you squeeze it and use it, the sponge dries up and you have to fill it up with cleaning fluid again.  I believe our lives are like that.  As we make ourselves available to serve God in whatever ways we are called, we need filling up periodically in order to keep ourselves equipped to continue to serve on.  At home that usually happens during the night in my bedroom.  When I was at Calvin Crest I would go down to the Sherwood Forest campfire area and sit and look over the creek and trees and sit quietly.  I had a favorite spot at Westminster Woods as well looking over the meadow at the beautiful redwood trees and creek. Sometimes praying, sometimes sharing some things I was dealing with and sometimes just being there “filling up.”
Find a safe space where you can be yourself and welcome the Spirit of God to fill you with new energy.        

No comments:

Post a Comment